Dances for an Expanding Universe Workshops for Students
Copyright S. Harlan Brownlee: No copying or other reproduction of this work allowed without the express written permission of the author, ©2014.
“Watch the stars, and from them learn. To the Master's honor all must turn, each in its track, without a sound, forever tracing Newton's ground.”
- Albert Einstein
Learning Activities: Grades K - 4
The Stop & Go Structured Improvisation - Activity #1
Description of Learning Activity
- Create a simple Stop & Go Structured Improvisation based on a specific curricular concept or objective.
- Use their bodies to communicate their understanding of a specific concept or idea.
- Make a connection between the dance concepts of shape, level, pathway, and locomotor skill and a specific curricular concept or objective.
Next Generation Science Standards
- 1-ESS1-1. Use observations of the sun, moon, and stars to describe patterns that can be predicted.
- 3-ESS2-1. Represent data in tables and graphical displays to describe typical weather conditions expected during a particular season.
National Core Dance Standards
- Anchor Standard 1: Generate and conceptualize artistic ideas and work. Respond in movement to a variety of stimuli (for example, music/sound, text, objects, images, symbols, observed dance).Explore a variety of locomotor and non-locomotor movements by experimenting with and changing the elements of dance.
- Anchor Standard 2: Organize and develop artistic ideas and work. Improvise a dance phrase with a beginning, a middle that has a main idea, and a clear end.
- Develop a dance phrase that expresses and communicates an idea or feeling. Discuss the effect of the movement choices.
Common Core State Standards
- ELA/Literacy – RI.3.1 Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
- RI.3.9 Compare and contrast the most important points and key details presented in two texts on the same topic.
- W.3.8 Recall information from experiences or gather information from print and digital sources; take brief notes on sources and sort evidence into provided categories.
- W.1.8 With guidance and support from adults, recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.
- Mathematics - MP.2 Reason abstractly and quantitatively.